It’s been a busy few weeks, slowing my usually rampant listening, reading, and viewing efforts, but I have been able to check out a few things now and then…
- Said goodbye to Dollhouse…and finding I’m not particularly missing it. I think it was a weird, interesting show with moments of brilliance, but overall was kind of a mess. The only thing I will truly miss is the versatile genius of Enver Gjokaj (Victor)…and, to a less degree, Amy Acker (Dr. Saunders) and Fran Kranz (whose character, Topher Brink, eventually became one of the show’s most intriguing characters). One has to wonder how this one would have turned out if they hadn’t been handcuffed by network execs. As always, looking forward to Joss Whedon’s next project!
- Started catching up on 24. It’s one of the shows that got me hooked on TV-DVDs, but the press of time has squeezed it out of my schedule, and I’m three seasons behind. Recently I started in on season six, but I think it’s pretty weak — a bit too obvious, a bit too predictable, and the CTU team has never been blander. The completist in me is still slugging through it, slowly, but it feels kind of shark-jumpy. I’m hoping it rebounds.
- Checked out the pilot for Caprica. Beautiful-looking, well produced, and some interesting SF focus on AI, VR, etc. An attractive cast and nicely acted. But I found it kind of dull, and the later episodes are gathering figurative dust in our DVR queue. It occurred to me while watching it that I would have liked to see a show like it not set in the BSG universe.
- Downloaded album Pocket Fulla Nasty by Doug Johns, an impressive funk bassist. Lately, funk and funk-jazz tends to make a great first impression upon me, and then kind of get less interesting the more I listen to it. The same holds true here, I think. So I’m not sure the album will be on my heavy rotation, but there’s a lot of great songs and impressive bass-playing on it that I’ll be happy to have pop up on my iTunes DJ now and then.
- Mostly keeping up with some casually watched shows: Leverage (loving it), The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Castle and White Collar (which isn’t quite living up to its early promise, but is still kind of okay).
Other than that, just following the Los Angeles Kings and (now with the NHL freeze) enjoying some of the Winter Olympics. Any shows I’m missing that I shouldn’t be?