It feels like time for a catch-up post of random odds and ends…aka, a post that isn’t strictly a review of something or about Futurismic.
- For the last couple of months I’ve been feeling even more cautious than usual about money — staying in on weekends, not eating out, limiting my casual spending, etc. All of this kind of in anticipation of the holiday financial crush, I suspect. It feels a little like it’s translated into being antisocial, too, but that certainly wasn’t my intention.
- That said, we did get out last week for a blissfully relaxed Thanksgiving potluck at Jenn’s studio. There I got my first experience playing Rock Band, and I have to say, it’s fun but I don’t think I’d buy it for myself. Interestingly, I seemed to be better at the drums than the bass!
- On Sunday, Jenn and I went to the Burbank Ikea and bought an inexpensive bookshelf for the bedroom. For the second time in a year, we built furniture together without driving each other crazy. Is that normal?
- A final thumbs-up on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, an exciting and beautifully rendered action video game that seems destined to become a movie starring Nathan Fillion.
- My GarageBand obsession continues, and Episodic now has 19 songs — almost complete! I’m starting to feel like I’m butting up against the limits of my composing ability, unfortunately, but this is less depressing than a “writing plateau” since I have no professional aspirations here. So far my favorites are my alien dance club tune “Area 54,” and the warped slow jazz of “Learning is Fun at David Lynch Preschool.”
- Speaking of music, a recent windfall of iTunes gift cards enabled me to spend without spending recently, and I’m now stocked up with new albums from Angelspit, Fishbone, Mike Keneally, and Tipsy, plus a couple of artists new to me: Steroid Maximus and Zu.
I think that about covers it for now; keeping busy, and largely happy! I’m working up to doing a “year-in-writing” post later this month, which I feel like I should be dreading more, since this really wasn’t a great year for me professionally. And yet, in other ways I feel pretty good about how writing went this year. Anyway, more to come!