In mourning the death of Rubicon, I’ve been coping by imagining a world where there’s a multibillionaire version of myself who owns his own channel (and has since, oh, 1977). This benevolent executive (hey, it’s an imaginary world) swoops in to rescue ratings-challenged TV shows that are too smart, weird, original, and/or, you know, good to make it in a bottom-line driven industry.
You know, the business that’s about to bring you Skating with the Stars.
In this imaginary universe, aside from Rubicon getting picked up, here’s what happens:
- Arrested Development has a long and healthy life.
- Angel gets more than two episodes to negotiate its brilliant exit strategy.
- Carnivale lives up to the first episode of season two.
- More Sports Night, less laugh track.
- Party Down is still partying down.
- The tale of Deadwood is satisfyingly completed.
- Ian Mackintosh doesn’t die and The Sandbaggers lasts another three or four years.
- Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls last at least four seasons each.
- Nobody messes with Veronica Mars in season three, and it lives on.
Oh, and by the way, the channel’s staff includes Joss Whedon, Jane Espensen, Tim Minear, Henry Bromell, and Rob Thomas, among others, and they all make sure none of these shows jump the shark. Along with providing brilliant new original programming.
So what’s on your Canceled Too Soon station?
“Freaks & Geeks”, without question. It’s only the most brilliant show about teenagers ever. Also wanted more of Apatow’s “Undeclared.”
More “Firefly” goes without saying, but I’d also like more of Tim Minnear’s “Drive” which lasted all of four episodes.
Agreed on “Carnivale” and “Deadwood,” too.
American Dreams … it was on just *barely* 3 seasons … and I miss it so much ….
I’ve been meaning to check out “Freaks & Geeks” and “Undeclared” — I’ve heard great things, although I don’t think I’m a natural audience for Apatow.
I have to say “Drive” missed the mark for me — to be fair, I gave it less of a chance than Fox did.
As for “American Dreams”…can’t say I’ve heard of it! What did I miss?
Sorry your comments didn’t post right away, my settings were screwed up. Hopefully fixed now.